There’s much more to editing a magazine than being a wordsmith.
My years producing publications for the National Union of Teachers, Ramblers, Lloyd’s of London Press and others have given me a wide range of editorial skills:
- reporting, interviewing, news-gathering and feature-writing
- commissioning and supporting writers, designers, photographers and illustrators
- sub-editing and proofreading
- design and page layout
- photography, picture research, photo editing and coordinating photoshoots
- organising printing, packaging and postal services
- securing advertising and sponsorship, directly and through agencies
- online publishing and social media
- readership research and correspondence
- producing bilingual publications in Welsh/English and minority ethnic languages
- writing in plain English and creating accessible communications for people with visual impairments or skills deficits
- working productively with editorial boards and sub-committees
- developing house-style guides, advertising policies and digital photo libraries.
Along the way, I’ve developed broader management expertise in:
- people management, recruitment and mentoring
- budget setting and financial management
- supplier relationships, including tendering processes and contract negotiations
- brand management and corporate identity
- project management and evaluation
- communications strategy and content design
- training and presenting.